segunda-feira, 13 de fevereiro de 2023

Wilderness of things

 



«Returning to college, I again felt pressed into a too tight pattern by the texts and taxonomies, and found myself yearning for a way back out of the words into the wilderness of things. When classes ended that year, I walked onto a New England highway and stuck out my thumbs, catching a series of rides westward across the continent. Once the snow-decked ridges of the Rocky Mountains lifted themselves from the horizon I stared in happy amazement and stepped out of the last truck, thanking the driver and making my way into a town where I began performing magic, for tips, in the local bars. After a fortnight I’d earned enough to purchase a decent tent and a sleeping bag; I shouldered my backpack and walked into the mountains.

I had camped a fair amount with friends and family when growing up, but had never before pitched a tent alone in the backcountry. As my legs carried me past the last of the phone lines and into the thick of the forest, as the shadows deepened and the exclusively human world fell behind me, a great remembering shuddered through my muscles, as though a soul long buried were striding to the surface. My own real creaturely life, at last, was what was smelling those scents and hearing the pines rub against each other. Over the following days and nights, camping under high passes in snowfields agleam with moonlight, or hiking among rock-studded meadows articulated with gurgling rills, I found myself sliding through a vast array of feelings and moods, following thoughts as they meandered and fed into other insights and knowing– yet very few of these thoughts were embodied in words. I was thinking, yes, but in shifting shapes and rhythms and dimly colored vectors, thinking with my senses, feeling my way toward insights and understandings that had more the form of feelings blooming in my belly than of statements being spoken within my skull. A kind of spell had been broken; the school-hardened skein of words had softened, had loosened, had let me squeeze through and leave it behind like the grid of power lines I’d left at the edge of that wilderness, and so I was alone with  my breath as the woods creaked around me and turquoise beetles climbed the grass blades and the owls hunkered down and waited for dusk.

It was there, in that solitude, that I first noticed how the drift of my thoughts was instilled and steadily carried by subtle alterations in the landscape. Walking in the woods kept my thoughts close and completely patterned, while emerging into the wide meadows opened my ponderings out onto broad vistas of feeling, yielding insights into the expansive arc of my life and of the word’s unfolding. As the new sun climbed above the peaks I could see its light roll toward me across the field, igniting the grasses and the scatered wildflowers, charging the air with warmth as it approached until it burst upon me as well, gleaming my naked surfaces, wrapping me in the grin of morning as it rolled on through the stony valley, and I could feel the petals of my brain slowly opening to meet that warmth. Sunlight was a mood that colored all my thoughts as I hikes, although if there were no clouds to break the heat I noticed my reflections melting together by midafternoon. A kind of languor then seeped into my muscles, blurring the keen edge of my thinking, as hazy dream logic began to infect insights that’d been perfectly precise an hour earlier.

The ways of the mind seemed more manifold and mysterious here than I’d ever realized.» (pp. 111-112)

 

~ ABRAM, David. 2010. Becoming Animal – An Earthly Cosmology. New York: Pantheon Books.


Pedro Cuiça (2022) © Montanhas Rochosas (Canadá)

Ver: Becoming Animal



Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário