quarta-feira, 29 de agosto de 2018

Connection walking


Pedro Cuiça © Centro Desportivo Nacional do Jamor

It was Rousseau who elevated walking into a true mode of philosophical reflection and introspective self-discovery that could liberate the oppressed self from the detrimental influences of corrupt society. Because for Rosseau society is governed by the debilitating norms of courteous behaviour, he advocates solitary walking as a way of recuperating an authentic connection with one’s innermost self. In Book Nine of the Confessions (1782) he states : ‘je ne puis méditer qu’en marchant ; sitôt que je m’arrête, je ne pense plus, et ma tête ne va qu’avec mes pieds’ (I can meditate only when walking ; as soon as I stop I can no longer think, for my mind moves only when my feet do). And in the Second Walk of The Rêveries du promeneur solitaire (Reveries of a Solitary Walker, 1782) he observes : ‘Ces heures de solitude et de méditation sont les seules de la journée où je sois pleinement moi et à moi sans diversion, sans obstacle, et où je puisse véritablement dire être ce que la nature a voulu’ (These hours of solitude and meditation are the only time of the day when I am completely myself, without distraction and hindrance, and when I can truly say that I am what nature intended me to be). The experience of an authentic self also prepares the ground for the detailed observation of the intricacies of nature : in the Fifth Walk Rosseau recounts how he went botanising on the Swisss island of St Pierre equipped with his magnifying glass and a copy of Linnaeus’ Systema naturae. Besides its therapeutic goal, walking in nature was for Rosseau and his contemporaries an indispensable mode of geographical, botanical and geological exploration of the natural world.
[FUCHS, 2016 : 202]


REFERÊNCIA BIBLIOGRÁFICA

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário